Monday, October 10, 2016

Is Pifá a Carb?

''...Yes.''


One day last week, I was served bread for breakfast, yuca at Clementes house, pifá (peach palm, a starchy potato-like fruit) at Dioselina & Valentíns house, returned to Clementes for a bowl of rice, and then chicheme (kind of like an oatmeal drink, but made of corn). Five different carbs/starches all before dinner! And then on October 3rd (hope you got the reference in the post title) it was 6 pm and I had eaten nothing but two bowls of plain rice all day. I was at Isaiah & Casildas house in a hungry, bad mood - and then they bring out a bowl of rice with onions and a piece of chicken! It was the first Gallinan chicken I had eaten in Cerro Gallina. Seeing my excitement, Isaiah exclaimed Your first pollo de patio! A gift from God! And indeed, it was. It was exactly what I needed.
Ive now been in site for a little over three weeks, minus two days out for the Comarca regional meeting and a meeting with MINSA (Ministerio de Salud, or Ministry of Health). Most days, Ive been pasearing. There are 37 households in the community, and Ive visited each home at least once so far. Ive been trying to get everyones names down and do a rough census. So far Ive counted about 200 people, but Im sure my estimate is on the low end. Most houses are a mixture of parents, kids, grandkids, and random relatives. There always seem to be visitors from afuera and neighbors over so its hard to tell who lives where. At one house, it was basically eight kids and a grandpa just staring at me while I tried to make conversation. And then someone pulled out their cameraphone and took a video of me sitting there struggling to talk to all of these blank faces. That was kind of painful. But then there are other houses where Ive stayed for several hours chatting with the families! Ive been read Bible passages. Ive been given a Bible in Ngäbere and told to read it out loud. Ive given and received a lot of impromptu English/Ngäbere lessons. People have asked me to explain everything from the differences between North and South Korea to why Jews keep Sabbath on Saturday. Countless people have asked me if I want to be set up with a Ngäbe boyfriend, upon hearing that Im single. Ive been fed yuca soup so delicious I wanted to cry and gluey crema so bad that tears were actually rolling down my face as I tried to gulp it down. I hiked with a family to a high school in a neighboring community for a festival and ended up judging a cooking competition. I went to a soccer tournament with my host brothers and got hit really hard in the face with a ball, which then became the local bochinche. We heard you got hit in the face, Bei! Ha ha ha ha I spent a morning macheteing the church yard. I went to a work junta and harvested rice. I helped a family take flow measurements for a potential ojo de agua. Ive gotten helplessly lost in the middle of a rice field during a thunderstorm trying to hike from one house to another. I took a wrong path one day and wound up in another community on the next ridgeline
My life is so bizarre, you guys.
The Ngäbe people are blunt. They dont give or take any shit. People have told me that I have a huge head, that I would look much prettier if I had long hair, that my pronunciation is really bad. Learning Ngäbere has been slow going, and I get scolded multiple times a day for my lack of progress. Historically, it is an oral language. Only when missionaries came to study the population was the written language created. Theres not really any need to write Ngäbere because all official writing is done in Spanish, and the kids only speak, read, and write Spanish in schools. I am 100% a visual learner, so learning it orally has been tricky for me. But Peace Corps gave us a dictionary and basic grammar guide, which have been helpful.
Tonight Im spending the night at the Peace Corps house in San Felix. We dont get vacation the first three months, but we can take a couple of personal days a month to do whatever we need to do out of site. I definitely needed today to recharge: my mind and body, my electronics, my snack supply:) Coming up, I have scheduled and invited everyone to my first community-wide meeting (!!) this Thursday, Im going to visit the artesian group in Cerro Mesa, going to help a family with some water-level land surveying next week, hiking to my neighbor Michaels site to help him with a handwashing charla later this month, but mostly just continuing on the pasear grind!

No comments:

Post a Comment